|Faculty of Arts, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN). Pic: Ozioma Onuzulike.|
The Faculty of Arts, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), announces its 2021 International Conference and 'Call for papers'
Themed Emerging Issues And Metho- dologies In African Arts And Humani- ties, the conference holds from July 5-7, 2021.Mode of delivery include Hybrid (Virtual meetings /In-person presentations).
The conference, according to the convener, Prof Boniface Mbah, Dean, Faculty of Arts, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, provides a crucible for examining emerging issues and subjects that have occupied scholars and practitioners in the arts and humanities within the African continent as well as Africanist scholars beyond Africa’s geographical borders. It also aims to investigate how new methodological demands of their fields have been (or are being) challenged, redefined or even consolidated within the pre- and post-Covid world. For example, in what ways have new spaces such as virtual museums and archives, digital painting, e-curation, e-portfolios, online social media platforms, blog sites, etc. informed creative, aesthetic and scholarly productions, as well as reshaped creativity in the visual arts, challenged art and literary criticism or redefined archaeology, the music and film industries, tourism, theatre, creative writing, history and media studies? What scholarly engagements and interventions have been engendered by online networking and platforms such as Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Instagram, etc.? In what new ways are visual artists, dramatists, linguists, anthropologists, musicologists, archaeologists, creative writers, art and literary critics, etc. negotiating or confronting critical issues surrounding national political tensions, cross-national crises, gender issues and other subject matters before and within the ‘new normal’?
The conference welcomes panel proposals and paper abstracts reflecting on the listed items or related issues. In addition, critical reflections are invited on the under listed sub-themes:
• African humanities and emerging fields in ecological and environmental studies
• Methodological contestations in recent art and humanities research in Africa
• Communication technology and humanities research in Africa
• New trends in foreign language research
• Technology, eco-performance and applied theatre in Africa
• Challenges in contemporary music research and practices
• Issues and directions in Archaeology research in Africa
• Technology and English language in Africa
• African languages and the digital culture
• Issues and directions in gender studies
• African art, design and new media explorations
• The new media and humanities research in Africa
• Emerging trends in the theory and practice of contemporary African theatre
• The influence of the new diaspora on cultural productions in Africa
• Emerging trends in translation studies
• The rise of digital and medical humanities in Africa.
Panel proposals or paper abstracts of not more than 200 words are expected to be sent to: Conference Organising Committee Chair (Prof. Ozioma Onuzulike) or the Secretary (Dr. Festus U. Ngwoke) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for receipt of paper abstracts: June 15, 2021.
There will be what the convener described as 'Special Festure', which include workshops on annotated bibliography, research and publication skills and mentoring sessions for postgraduate students and early-career scholars during this conference. These are in addition to art exhibitions and music/theatre performances in relation to the conference theme.
The Keynote Speaker is Abdalla Uba Adamu, Professor of Media & Cultural Communication and Professor of Science Education and Curriculum Development; Vice-Chancellor, National Open University of Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria.
Lead Paper Presenters: Adélékè Adéẹ̀kọ́, Humanities Distinguished Professor & Departmental Interim Chair, The Ohio State University, English; African American & African Studies; and Joy Eyisi, Professor of English & Director, SIWES, National Open University of Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria.
Host of the event is Prof. Charles Arinzechukwu Igwe, Vice-Chancellor University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria.
For more details on how to participate in the conference, contact: 08064566346 & 08037367014.